Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I wish I was a history buff" ...George Costanza

So, I saw on the news that the government is changing its naturalization test, and I found a quiz online with some of the questions from the test. Boy, did I do badly! I sucked! Which is insane because I can't stand the idea that people born outside of this country - new citizens - will know more about the history of this country than me, who was born in here. This bugs me because it tells me I am taking for granted the amazing gift of living here, and having freedom. On top of that, what is my favorite holiday? You guessed it - 4th of July. So I am going to study some more about the constitution and the history of the United States of America.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Missing you and Lori and Dorothy today. We had a tough weekend. Much going on...
I too would love to learn more about US History. I would love to take a history tour along the east coast. Did you go to some historic place living back there?

Virginia said...

Oh yeah, plenty. The white house, capitol, lincoln memorial, and lots more. But I was too young to really appreciate it all and don't remember it. I grew up 20 min outside of Philadelphia and have seen the Liberty Bell tons and also Independence Hall and other historical places in Philly. About 10 years ago I went back to those places while visiting home and I totally enjoyed it, I'd love to go again.
Lori couldn't make it today- just me and dorothy. I'll call you tomorrow I wanna catch up.