Thursday, November 6, 2008

On the President-Elect


Rewind to a July, 4 years ago in a Park City timeshare. It was a warm evening. Belo, Bela and the rest of the family lazing around after hours of swimming. I'm sitting at the kitchen table. Peanut M&Ms and Strawberry Twizzlers being passed around from person to person. The tv is on. Channel surfing. Nothing of interest. Pause at MSNBC. It's the Democratic Convention. A handsome young black man is speaking. Who is that? Let's see what he has to say. Within 5 minutes, it is apparent. Abuela turns to everyone and prophetically says "Wow. That's man is gonna be the President of the United States!" The rest of us are in awe-and we're all thinking "Yeah, no kidding". We listen intently, and don't turn the channel until after he is finished. Not one of us in that room considered ourselves Democrats. Not one, yet we were all frozen, hanging on to every word that came out of that unknown's mouth.

Fast forward back to November 4th. I voted. I won't publicize who I voted for, but I joined billions of Americans as we watched the news, as the map of the United States begins to take on those well-known colors of red and blue- lots of blue. (I watched Tom Brokaw pull out that white board from the last election. Awww! I miss Tim Russert!) History unfolding.

Then I watched Senator McCain give his concession speech. I was touched. I was impressed. I absolutely loved the grace and leadership he projected.

On to Obama. I witness history. I was touched. I was impressed. I was moved. All I kept thinking was, no matter who you voted for, you can't help but be moved by this man. You can't help but be moved to witness such an unforgettable moment in the history of this nation. I, too, like many others, hope that he continues to inspire and lead and move us. I kept thinking, I hope I never forget this moment.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I actually slept when they made the announcement. But the next day I watched the speeches and the people celebrating all over the world and felt like something had changed in the world. Something wonderful had happened and that we, the world's people, were one.

Virginia said...

Well put.

Cindy Feuz said...

I totally agree. It was touching from both candidates. Impressive.