Monday, September 29, 2008

Stuck in the middle and things I've observed

V: So I joined Facebook...
You: No duh, that's how I found your blog, dork!
V: I first I avoided it 'cause you know how I hate being another statistic.
You: So why did you join?
V: 'Cause everyone else was doing it.

So, as I've become more involved in the techno world of blogging, facebook, what have you, I've learned a few things...

1. Mormons love to blog, it is a total trend..and the closer you are to Utah, the more mormon bloggers there are. The further away, the less there are, but they are catching up.

2. People my age (ok, I'll admit it...35, I mean, 25) are at the cusp of sharing self in technoland.
People even 1 or 2 years younger than me have much higher numbers of involvement in facebook/ blogging than those my age (25) or older... with a few exceptions...

3. If you are not mormon, you are very likely to be involved in blogging/ facebook. Especially facebook. (Myspace is no longer cool- see Stuff White People Like)

4. If you are single and mormon, you don't blog as much , but you use facebook religiously...unless you consider yourself a writer or are older and are professional, with opinions to share, then you also blog.

5. If you are mormon and have a family, yes, you use facebook, but you are very likely to blog as well.

6. Lots of mormon wives who have a blog about their family love to rant and rave about how awesome/ perfect their lives are...either it's true, or they're trying to convince themselves, or they're faking it. I've also noticed the younger the wife/ family is, the more likely the picture is painted perfect, the older, the more real.

Was I crossing the line with #6? Shoot...maybe. Hey, I do it ('cause I'm in the middle). Well, not so much. That's okay, let's still love each other.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Yes, I've come to realize that blogging is very "mormon", unless we are talking about the politcal blogging, which is very different.

I agree with number 6, although I'm not sure if you have the reason for the perfect picture correct. (You are probably right on about the younger crowd, but since I don't run in the twenty something crowd, like yourself, I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion.

For me, I only post things that I will not have a problem with the whole world knowing. (You know, in case I run for vice president, or something, someday:)

I will say that on the east coast Mormons are VERY reluctant to get into the blogging world, but usually succumb and then become obsessed.

I, too, thought it was really stupid. However, I look at it like my journal. (Because my real hand written journal should really be titled, "Why I Hate My Life and My Husband" since I only write in it when I'm upset or irritated. So now with blogging, at least I know when I leave this world my children will know there were lots of things I loved (including their father) and, hopefully, throw my hand written journal in the garbage, where it belongs...

Virginia said...

yes! so true - ditto everything you wrote- especially the journal part!

Cindy Feuz said...

That was hilarious and very true!
But don't you know? My life is perfect, isn't yours and everyone we know?? Just kidding!!
If I write about the stuff that pisses me off, people won't want to read it and then label me as a grouch who is never pleased. Who wants to read that?

Misty said...

I'm in complete agreement with this post! I just learned about "Seriously So Blessed". Ugh! I can barely keep up with my real life, who has time to create a fake one? That girl has way too much time on her hands!!!

Virginia said...

Is it fake? ;)

Rachelle said...

Yikes! That is TRUE!

Denise said...

You can use the template. I looked at a bunch and it is the only one that I liked.

Heidi said...

I used to love reading the Seriously so blessed blog.
I'm 99.99999% sure it's fake. She's got an early post in there about her calling as MiaMaid advisor and wearing semi-skanky boots to church and how she was such a great example to the girls because she was just barely their age. I was laughing so hard because that is how it is with a few of the YW leaders in our ward.

Good post.