Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Indiana Jones is a geocacher, not an archeologist.



Yesterday on my way home from an appointment, I was listening to NPR, as I often do (yeah, that makes me officially a grown-up, but that's for another post) and they did a story on Indiana Jones. They basically asked the question- what did he do for the field of archeology, and how does he compare to real archeologists? You probably already know the answers. He gives kids out there an inaccurate perception of what archeology is all about. It's not really about chasing adventures and finding hidden treasures, and more about examining tree rings for hours on end and digging into garbage. So, some college students hope to find that excitement in archeology, only to find something very different. Some leave the major, others stick around. Of course, most archeologists are not wearing fedoras and carrying bullwhips, either...but chasing adventures and finding hidden treasures... Huh... Sounds more like geocaching to me. Oh, and the bullwhip? Mine is a GPS. From now on, you can call me Dr. Jones. Especially if you're a little asian boy named Short Round.

No comments: